Sunday 12 May 2013

Beach House

When: Monday 25th March

Where: Shepherd’s Bush Empire

Why: Love em

“This is our nineteenth performance in London, so I feel like an oooooold pony… That’s it, sorry to interrupt our evening.” A funny little announcement from Beach House’s singer, Victoria Legrand, which made me chuckle and brought me back down to earth after floating around the heavens on her voice. I only discovered the day before the gig that Legrand, the lead singer, is in fact a girl, which even though I have seen her live I still have trouble believing when I listen to Beach House now. It’s like the time I found out that Cher was actually a woman (I was around 11 years old… shameful). With Cher it was like, oh yeah that actually now makes sense. But I still can’t fully realise it with Beach House. Which I quite like really, it’s mysterious. And also, doesn’t matter at all obviously. Legrand’s voice is like an androgynous French angel swooping over electronic clouds, with a killer guitarist (Alex Scally) in tow on the cloud behind, and hair that could literally destroy you if you came too close. She did seem to be channelling something of a pony with her amazing headbanging mane – her hair has a life of its own and was almost like the third member of the group. She was so passionate and seemed almost fused to her keyboard, which was appropriate considering how blended and seamless their music is.

I got into Beach House after hearing ‘Take Care’ at the end of an episode of New Girl, and hadn’t listened to them that much before I went to see them in March. Ever since then I’ve had them on almost every day and just love them so much. Their genre is kind of associated to ‘dreamfolk’ (not an enormous fan of that term but it kind of works) and to be fair, the experience of seeing Beach House live is like being caught up in a beautiful dream. The atmosphere in the Shepherds Bush empire was nothing like I’ve experienced there before – the crowd were SO quiet, like they were dazed or just respectfully speechless at what was going on (which just never really happens, or at least not at the gigs I’ve been to…). It’s impossible not to get caught up in their performance, and the teaming of the lighting with every note of the music was simple but perfect (see my video below of ‘Take Care’ – persevere and about half way through you’ll see what I mean). Legrand’s voice is a bit like if Debbie Harry sang only at the bottom of her range – husky, characterful and enrapturing.

Beach House are a perfect example of why recordings are never enough – you HAVE to see music live to experience how it’s really meant to be and to allow the visuals to let you connect with the band and to get into their personality.

Love them.

Brixpig x

No comments:

Post a Comment